Treating Chronic Pain
From Erica Jacques, former About.com Guide
- Pain Medication Considerations
- Other Pain Treatments
- Complementary and Alternative Chronic Pain Treatments
Chronic Pain Treatment
Chronic pain treatments differ based on the both condition and its cause. What works for one person may not work for another, which means finding an appropriate treatment may take time. What to expect when you are being treated for chronic pain.
- Chronic Pain Treatment - The Basics
- Treating Chronic Headaches
- Chronic Pelvic Pain Treatment
- Treating Chronic Pain After Surgery
- Chronic Nerve Pain Treatment
- Treating Back and Neck Pain
- Arthritis Pain Treatments
- Fibromyalgia Treatments
Medications for Chronic Pain
Chronic pain if often managed with prescription drugs, over-the-counter drugs or a combination of the two. An overview of the most commonly used chronic pain medicines, and related concerns.
- Common Medications for Chronic Pain
- What are Analgesics?
- How NSAIDs Work
- NSAIDs Used for Chronic Pain
- How Opioids (Narcotics) Work
- Opioids Used for Chronic Pain
- How Anticonvulsants Help Pain
- Anticonvulsants Used for Chronic Pain
- How Antidepressants Help Pain
- Antidepressants Used for Chronic Pain
- Topical Pain Medications
How much do you know about your pain medication? Profiles on some commonly used pain medications including how they work, common side effects and safety concerns.
Pain Medication Considerations
You may be concerned about taking medications for chronic pain. The latest information on complications, precautions and other pain medication concerns.
- Common Pain Medication Concerns
- Asking for Stronger Painkillers
- Painkiller Addiction
- Dependence vs. Addiction
- Pain Medication Withdrawal
- Drug Testing: What You Should Know
- Risks for Pain Medication Overdose
- Alcohol and Pain Medicine
Other Pain Treatments
Medication is not the only mainstream treatment for chronic pain. Other treatment modalities can be effective on their own, or when combined with medications, to reduce pain symptoms.
Complementary and Alternative Chronic Pain Treatments
Otherwise known as CAM's, complementary and alternative treatments provide relief to many people who live with chronic pain every day. Types of CAM's, the differences between them and whether or not they are effective.